Clean Up Australia Day is happening this Sunday 4th March. Each year thousands of people around Australia join forces to clean up their local environments. You can take part by forming your own group, or by choosing to join an already registered group. Take a look at the meeting points for this Sunday by typing in your location here.
Last year more than 7530 volunteers tookpart at 72 Clean Up Australia Day events in Lake Macquarie. Council’s Manager Sustainability, Alice Howe, is again calling on volunteers to do their part and clean up a site on Clean Up Australia Day this Sunday.
“Dozens of community groups, residents, businesses and schools across the City have already registered for the event, with 85 clean-up sites located across the City. There are a great variety of clean-up sites at parks and town centres, along our foreshores and roadways, in bushland and reserves, and underwater,” Dr Howe said.
Some of the sites registered this year include:
· Redhead: Webb Park, Beach Road
· Wangi Wangi: Dobell Park, Dobell Drive
· Warners Bay: Car park on corner of Medcalf Street and Macquarie Road roundabout
· Toronto: Large shelter at the Lions Park, Anzac Parade
· Newcastle: King Street McDonalds
· Broadmeadow: Broadmeadow McDonalds
· Merewether: Merewether Beach Clean
Make sure you bring a hat, sunscreen, water and a pair of gloves when cleaning up on the day.