September 3rd 2017, Father's Day for the year and a time to give something to Dad.
It can also be a stressful occasion as most dads are pretty bad at telling the family what they want, so we have a few suggestions of places to go that might take the pressure off that average gift card that you know you'll end up buying.
1. The Edwards - Breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Edwards know how to feed and quench a thirst. Make a booking (NOW!) to avoid the disappointment of turning up and being turned down a table. Don't forget they also have The Edwards Shop out the front so you could grab him a record if that's his thing...
2. The Happy Wombat - Similar to The Edwards, this space has something suitable for every meal and a great hangout space for the family get-to-gether.
3. Father's Day gig at The Cambridge Hotel - Yep, rock out with Dad-rock including Lachlan x. Morris so it is sure to be an evening to enjoy with dad (or even without).
4. The Grain Store - Beer. Does dad like beer? If the answer is No is he even your dad?
5. Picnic - with so many incredible parks in Newcastle, you could easily find a space in King Edward, The foreshore, Blackbutt Reserve or Carrington Reserve for instance.
6. Have him over - sure, you might need to invite mum too, get the BBQ going and then casually walk away for a moment and wait for Dad to inevitably pick those tongs up and take care of business. It's a win for everyone.
7. Five Senses Twilight Market - this is actually on the Saturday ahead of Father's Day, but that shouldn't stop you from suggesting an early evening option and getting it done a day early. We hear that Murray's Craft Brewery are going to be on-hand so that could be a tasty solution.